Default Waterloo Soccer Question

I have a question (may be a strange one). My daughter is 12 turning 13 and convinced she wants to play soccer. I dont want to deter her as it is something active that she really seems to want to do but she has never played before and I am worried that the kids will be miles ahead of her and she will get discouraged and not enjoy.
    Has anyone had experience with an older child starting soccer/ seen it or for that matter any sport. I know when my eldest daughter and husband coached hockey they had a 10 year old start who had never played and the kids were not the nicest to him unfortunately (they had to work hard to put a stop to it).
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Mum to E(26), A(13), J(7)

Hi Joan,

My oldest child has had kids join later in both hockey and in soccer. Soccer was definitely much easier for the late joiners to take part in. In fact, one of the new kids last year (when my son was 12) ended up being one of the best forwards on the team. I'd let her give it a try for a season and see how it goes. Good luck!
    Janette

Mom to Brandon (13) and Evan (10)
    Brandon deals with severe environmental allergies, and although Evan seems to have outgrown a horrid and long-lasting bout of reflux, we're still dealing with tonnes of delays, a learning disability, and sensory issues, caused by micro-duplication of 2q22.3 to 2q23.2.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, our swimming at the Y had a single space and it was Wednesdays. We are going to go with the swimming, then practice her soccer skills at the Y and play in the fall. That is good to know that you have seen kids start later! Thanks!
    Mum to E(26), A(13), J(7)

Funny you should ask that question. My DD is 12 and for the first time ever she's showing an interest in the soccer teams. Even last year she was saying how much she hated soccer because she always hurt her knees when playing it, and now suddenly she says she wants to be on a team.

Who knew?!