Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just bought an Italian plum tree on clearance at Zehrs. Yay. Now to figure out where to plant it.

We've just pitted and frozen 15 litres of sweet cherries which is probably all we will get done this year as the woman at the market said that they were done for the year. We missed sour cherries completely last week - there weren't many of them this year and she sold out early. I think I will try St Jacobs on Tuesday and see if I can get any cherries there. We did 20L of sour last year so I don't know that 15 L is enough for us for this year.

We'll use sweet cherries for smoothies and in baking muffins and maybe fruit crisps or cobblers etc. I have 2 bags of sour still in the freezer so I will use those for something special.

With the drought and the wacky weather I am worried about the fruit prospects for this year, but also for the future.

I am buying and canning/freezing blueberries and peaches early this year just in case the later crop doesn't come through this drought well. And we are preserving some other fruits we don't usually get like currants to have some alternatives.
    Peace is not something you wish for; it's something you make, something you do, something you are, something you give away.
    ~ Robert Fulghum

I didn't see any sour (or sweet local) cherries when I was at St. Jacobs last weekend Karen. I didn't go today though. I hope you find some though.

I got my honeyberry bushes planted and mulched today!
    Rachel, mama of 3 BOYS C (9/14/98), Z (9/8/06), E (5/10/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Prid5 View Post
    I didn't see any sour (or sweet local) cherries when I was at St. Jacobs last weekend Karen. I didn't go today though. I hope you find some though.

I got my honeyberry bushes planted and mulched today!
    thanks for the heads up
    The woman I normally buy from at the Guelph Market wasn't there. I hope she has at least some of her peaches and pears.

I was talking with a girlfriend whose husbands grandparents are Mennonites near Owen Sound and they have gone around to all the local orchards and bought up all the seconds of apples from last year's crop for canning this year. Smart. I am slow on the uptake. I got some strawberry jam made. Definitely not enough to see us through the year though. May try another round of picking rasberries at Marcy's if there is any crop left and make field berry jam. Or we will just eat more honey this winter. As long as the bees do okay.

When I really start thinking about this deeply - the drought, beehive collapses, weird weather wiping out local fruit crops, I can give myself a panic attack.
    Peace is not something you wish for; it's something you make, something you do, something you are, something you give away.
    ~ Robert Fulghum

Oh and not to be debbie downer - yay for getting your honey berries in!
    ~ Robert Fulghum

A family favorite, we love it on hotdogs, hamburgers, scrambled eggs and I have even been known to eat it on toast for a snack. Love this stuff!!!!!

Fruit Chili Sauce
    30 tomatoes peeled and chopped
    6 peaches peeled and chopped
    6 pears peeled and chopped
    6 apples peeled and chopped
    6 onions peeled and chopped
    3 green pepper seeded and chopped
    3 red peppers seeded and chopped
    1 bunch celery cleaned and chopped
    5 cups white vinegar (or 4 cups white, 1 cup cider vinegar)
    4 cups granulated sugar
    2 tbsp pickling salt
    2 tbsp pickling spice (tied up in spice bag or cheesecloth)
    2 tbsp chili powder (optional)
    In a large stewing pot mix all ingredients together. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer uncovered for 1 hour. Jar while hot.
    Jenn mom to K March 2007 and E October 2008

Seriously drooling. That sounds AMAZING! Thanks for the recipe Jenn!

Just one question! About how many pint jars would you say that recipe makes? I really want to try it!
    Rachel, mama of 3 BOYS C (9/14/98), Z (9/8/06), E (5/10/08)

Rachel
    I'll ask my mom, I really have no idea.
    Jenn mom to K March 2007 and E October 2008

i *just* planted my new strawberry plants as the rain started! woot for not having to water!!

I also grabbed a bunch of random clearance perennials for the new bed i am digging when the weather dips below 100 =p

So, my plan is to have my new beds finished this weekend... *crosses fingers* My dad won't let me use his saw, so I have to wait for him to be free to use it for me ahaha (i have a bad history with powertools)

I went out and about today and ended up getting a blueberry bush, a beautiful rosebush (i'm such an old lady) and 5 perennials (the name is escaping me right now...) for under $20, woot! I'm splitting my moms hostas in the fall (or maybe sooner if i get impatient haha

The second veggie garden will be done this weekend too, but I won't be planting there until next spring

Quote Originally Posted by Emilysofiasmom View Post
    So, my plan is to have my new beds finished this weekend... *crosses fingers* My dad won't let me use his saw, so I have to wait for him to be free to use it for me ahaha (i have a bad history with powertools)

I went out and about today and ended up getting a blueberry bush, a beautiful rosebush (i'm such an old lady) and 5 perennials (the name is escaping me right now...) for under $20, woot! I'm splitting my moms hostas in the fall (or maybe sooner if i get impatient haha

The second veggie garden will be done this weekend too, but I won't be planting there until next spring
    Sounds like a great deal for all those plants!
    I still have a collection of plants I need to plant, sitting at the side of my house. Maybe tomorrow afternoon...sigh. lol.
    ~ Robert Fulghum