Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by KitchenerMom View Post
    Well I hope the parents dont read them the youtube comments! eek! Isnt it the same thing as kids doing covers on facebook and people replying with you suck learn how to sing and even worse things?

I think these kids will be just fine and I dont think their parents 'bullied' them.
    I don't really either, if it's an isolated incident. I do still think it's inappropriate to teach your kids that others distress is funny, or to plaster your kids distress out for the public to laugh at.
    Steph, Mommy to D Jan 4, 2009, and C Dec 9, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dubhreubel View Post
    I don't really either, if it's an isolated incident. I do still think it's inappropriate to teach your kids that others distress is funny, or to plaster your kids distress out for the public to laugh at.
    I understand that and I think for the most part people dont tend to plaster it all over the internet.. or I would hope lol you never know with people these days
    Courtney - Mommy to Tiana(2002), Anthony (2006) & Andre (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by KitchenerMom View Post
    I understand that and I think for the most part people dont tend to plaster it all over the internet.. or I would hope lol you never know with people these days
    When everybody shares everything on the internet? Not my favorite pastime, I'm a firm believer in keeping some privacy.

i still dont see anything wrong with this

it was a joke and JUST THAT, i dont feel that anyone was bullied in any way. i play jokes on my kids and they think its funny.........but my kids have a good sense of humour about things.

I dont think that people making comments the way they are is ok (on the youtube vids) cause they only show a small clip of what went on, not the whole thing. soem of those videos might have even been staged as people will do anything for 5 mins of fame
    Sara Mom to L(2004), N(2008), and D(2009)

Life has no remote...So, if u don't like what's going on...get up and change it yourself!!!

I know this is an old thread...but i'm just seeing it now I think there is a fine line. It depends on your intention and on how you think your kids can take it. My son has a fantastic sense of humour and would probably LAUGH his butt off after I told him I was just joking I love to trick him as he appreciates the goofiness of it all.

I will say that when I saw this video I thought it was super funny and showed my husband and we giggled together. But immediately, I said to him....I feel bad for the older kids! Their classmates are going to seeing them crying like a baby and that would be so embarrasing!

So to me the joke was awesome. Putting it out for the world to see...not as funny. Unless they cleared it with the kids and the kids were okay with it. Then why not?
    Jamie

Mommy to Quin and Bronwen.

I guess for me the reason not to do this in the first place, or not to post it after the fact would be all about modelling for my kids the kind of behaviour I would expect of them. If I would be horrified and disappointed if they posted a mean "just a joke" kind of video of one of their friends on youtube then I need to not model it. That young man in the states killed himself after his college roommates broadcast his private moments with a partner on line. They were only joking too.
    And yeah I get this is only candy and it's not about being outed. But I don't think the principle is all that different - it's about respect, and privacy and kindness, and not making someone feel bad for our own amusement and I think the best place for kids to learn that is at home when they are young.

Sorry - this is probably coming across as way more harsh than I mean it too. I just see real ties between this kind of thing, and those poor gay kids who get bullied to the point of suicide, and the video posted last week about people not helping each other, because we don't fee connected.
    We create the world we want to live in - more importantly we are creating it for our kids.
    And now with that I will break out my guitar, pass out the tamborines and hippie kimonos and we can all sing Kumbayah and Give Peace a Chance around the campfire.

K
    Peace is not something you wish for; it's something you make, something you do, something you are, something you give away.
    ~ Robert Fulghum

Karen, I'll hop around that campfire with you. Call me an optimist, but I think that a world with more positive experiences than negative can exist, and where those negative experiences become learning opportunities instead of something you regret for months/years/ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I guess for me the reason not to do this in the first place, or not to post it after the fact would be all about modelling for my kids the kind of behaviour I would expect of them. If I would be horrified and disappointed if they posted a mean "just a joke" kind of video of one of their friends on youtube then I need to not model it. That young man in the states killed himself after his college roommates broadcast his private moments with a partner on line. They were only joking too.
    And yeah I get this is only candy and it's not about being outed. But I don't think the principle is all that different - it's about respect, and privacy and kindness, and not making someone feel bad for our own amusement and I think the best place for kids to learn that is at home when they are young.

Sorry - this is probably coming across as way more harsh than I mean it too. I just see real ties between this kind of thing, and those poor gay kids who get bullied to the point of suicide, and the video posted last week about people not helping each other, because we don't fee connected.
    We create the world we want to live in - more importantly we are creating it for our kids.
    And now with that I will break out my guitar, pass out the tamborines and hippie kimonos and we can all sing Kumbayah and Give Peace a Chance around the campfire.

K
    this EXACTLY!!! i'm joining you around your campfire!
    Christina

mom to Paul 11/15/02

*loving being a homeschooling mom*

*Asperger Syndrome makes life interesting*