Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I just dont know what to think about this

http://news.sympatico.ca/oped/coffee...stika/a780e277

Very contriversal...but i just dont know what to think...I would love to chat about this!!!
    Nathaniel 02/07 & Brysin 01/10

Well, my first reaction is that their 'celtic knot' of a symbol bears little resemblence to the Nazi swastika. For one thing it's blue. For another it's on a horizontal plane whereas the Nazi swastika is on the diagonal. And lastly they have it intermixed with with a Jewish symbol, the Star of David.

Could be that if they hadn't said anything they could have gotten away with it right from the beginning, until someone came along who is a bit obsessed with the Nazi swastika and noticed that the swastika cross was part of the symbol. (Even with the differences that I've pointed out.)

If they can cleanse their own symbol of any taint of association with a swastika, more power to them. I don't think they'll be able to remove the taint from the Nazi swastika, though - and they shouldn't, IMO.

What happened with Germany and the Jews (as well as the others the Nazis persecuted) needs to be remembered (though not obsessed on).

If we don't learn from our mistakes, we're destined to repeat them.

I'm not sure what I think of that... I may have to come back to this
    Steph, Mommy to D Jan 4, 2009, and C Dec 9, 2010

The IRM, given their unusual and unworldly beliefs, is perhaps not the best spokesperson for this cause, but we have to give them credit for sparking a colorful debate.
    From the end of the article, I agree with this
    Kristina, Mom to
    S 08/2005
    O 08/2007
    R 11/2009
    K 04/2012

I dont think it will ever happen... there is too many memories and too much hate associated with it.

it doesn't enrage or upset me, but i think out of respect it shouldn't happen. It may have meant something else at one time, but because it stood for something so powerful not that long ago i don't think it's a good idea.

my first thought would be..."how it is even theirs to take back?"
    Rachel, mama of 3 BOYS C (9/14/98), Z (9/8/06), E (5/10/08)

Quote Originally Posted by janijanis View Post
    it doesn't enrage or upset me, but i think out of respect it shouldn't happen. It may have meant something else at one time, but because it stood for something so powerful not that long ago i don't think it's a good idea.
    I almost agree with this, but at the same time I dislike allowing the nazi regime to continue having power over a 4000 year old positive symbol. I certainly don't think anybody is going to be able to take back a black on while clockwise swastika, but I don't think the other forms of it should be tainted by nazi hate.

In theory at least. In practice I would be just as likely to be shocked by somebody wearing any form of swastika, as I likely wouldn't understand immediately.

On a related note, we have a place called Swastika, Ontario. Should that be changed as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Prid5 View Post
    my first thought would be..."how it is even theirs to take back?"
    Now that is a good point. Although I don't think there's any way to say whose it was since pretty much everybody used it.

I muddled about this all night and still dont really know where I stand.

I do understand that there are differences in the symbols, but then it makes me thinks ok, well why doesnt some other group take the middle finger and turn it sideways....that still doesnt make it ....socially acceptable.

I think im going to call my grandfather today and hear his opinion on this matter.after all he is the wisest man I know

p.s (dont anyone tell my bf i said that,it would crush his little ego)
    Nathaniel 02/07 & Brysin 01/10