Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Unschooling

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly76 View Post
    thanks for that!!! ds has a few years to go yet (he's only grade 4 age right now) but it never hurts to read ahead!!!
    Sarah will sometimes speak at conferences. She's done KWCHEA in the past and OFTP. She came to our local homeschool group one year.
    She's completely inspiring and absolutely worth making the effort to see if you can.
    I was blown away by the options and felt so much more confident about our options after hearing her.
    Hope you find some valueable stuff in there.
    Karen
    Peace is not something you wish for; it's something you make, something you do, something you are, something you give away.
    ~ Robert Fulghum

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Why do you think it is silly?
    maybe it has something to do with going through the school system?

i know that's why i thought it was silly, way back when... the thought that children could learn without being taught simply didn't make sense to me. i had been conditioned for years to believe that children need teachers to tell them what they should learn...

even when i started researching homeschooling (when i was pregnant, lol) i still thought that i would be doing the 'teaching'.

then ds showed me just how much he learned without me doing anything... totally blew my ideas about education and learning out of the water, and really forced me to question everything i'd been taught.

unschooling in action is absolutely amazing! i am thankful every day that we ended up on this path!
    Christina

mom to Paul 11/15/02

*loving being a homeschooling mom*

*Asperger Syndrome makes life interesting*

What I've seen from unschooling has always been kids running around wild, and just chaos. But the more I've been reading here, the more interesting it sounds.
    I still think I'll be sending DD to school, but if that doesn't work for some reason, this sounds very interesting for sure.
    I'm going to keep reading this thread.
    Rianne

mother to Lauren March 14 2010

KWC Babywearing blog

Find the KWC Babywearing group on Facebook.

I think you have touched on an important point here. It seems to me that we have become conditioned to see learning as structured and limited to school.

It's only recently that parents, educators, and policymakers see playing as a form of learning. Yet, we continue to force-feed information to students and use tests as a way to measure their learning. This has only created generations of students who are proficient at test-taking and memorization.

Learning is natural and if it presents itself as chaotic to parents, that is just our impression. Children are not small adults who have to be reigned in. They are unique in their view of the world, and we should foster their uniqueness, not try to drill it out of them by chaining them to desk for hours each day.
    Mama to DS, Feb 2011

i know that's why i thought it was silly, way back when... the thought that children could learn without being taught simply didn't make sense to me. i had been conditioned for years to believe that children need teachers to tell them what they should learn...

even when i started researching homeschooling (when i was pregnant, lol) i still thought that i would be doing the 'teaching'.

then ds showed me just how much he learned without me doing anything... totally blew my ideas about education and learning out of the water, and really forced me to question everything i'd been taught.

unschooling in action is absolutely amazing! i am thankful every day that we ended up on this path!
    LOL you are right.
    I have been doing this so long and my community is so immersed in the "alternative" with respect to education (and a whole host of other things - lol), that I can forget exactly how startling the notion of self-directed education for children can be.
    My husband always jokes with me that I live in a bubble - and I admit I do.
    Peace is not something you wish for; it's something you make, something you do, something you are, something you give away.
    ~ Robert Fulghum

Quote Originally Posted by bratt View Post
    What I've seen from unschooling has always been kids running around wild, and just chaos. But the more I've been reading here, the more interesting it sounds.
    I still think I'll be sending DD to school, but if that doesn't work for some reason, this sounds very interesting for sure.
    I'm going to keep reading this thread.
    There can definitely be some of that - absolutely - and it can be unfortunate. We tend to stay away from families who behave that way consistently.
    Unschooling is a spectrum and there are some families who self identify as Radical Unschoolers who take the ideas of self directed learning and apply them to all areas of life. It works really well for some - but I'm not so sure it works for all. So much depends on the parents, the kids, their relationship.

We don't identify as unschoolers in general. ANd while I love watching my oldest immerse himself in his learning, I do have expectations for him around his education which spill over into expectations around family life and living in community respectfully. I do believe in the value of parental guidance and firm nudges when needed and that pretty much disqualifies me from the unschooling definition.
    But I can see how it could work beautifully and I would love to see schools move more towards independent learning models.
    Last edited by Karen; 08-31-2011 at 04:07 PM.
    ~ Robert Fulghum

I think that sometimes people associate unschooling not only with not educating in a structured way, but also with a lack of "parenting" in general
    Kristina, Mom to
    S 08/2005
    O 08/2007
    R 11/2009
    K 04/2012

There is an article in the Record about this:

http://www.therecord.com/living/arti...eacher-s-chair

Thought it was timely to this thread
    Jamie

Mommy to Quin and Bronwen.

until this thread....I never even knew there was such a thing as "unschooling"

I send my kids to school for their structured learning, then when they are home and asking a hundred questions a day....its my job as a parent to educate them and answer their questions.

I do this i guess in an unschooled kind of way, i will answer their question, and encourage them to also look up more on the subject....thank god for smart phones, internet where ever we are!

some questions get a quick answer while others turn into a day long lesson....the most recent example is the question from my ds 10 "mom, whats the difference between debit and credit cards, they look the same?"
    this was the perfect opportunity for my to teach "responsible" spending and money management ds 10 ate it all up!
    Mother to DS C (2000), DS C (2005) & DD G (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by 3little1s View Post
    until this thread....I never even knew there was such a thing as "unschooling"

I send my kids to school for their structured learning, then when they are home and asking a hundred questions a day....its my job as a parent to educate them and answer their questions.

I do this i guess in an unschooled kind of way, i will answer their question, and encourage them to also look up more on the subject....thank god for smart phones, internet where ever we are!

some questions get a quick answer while others turn into a day long lesson....the most recent example is the question from my ds 10 "mom, whats the difference between debit and credit cards, they look the same?"
    this was the perfect opportunity for my to teach "responsible" spending and money management ds 10 ate it all up!
    i think every responsible and caring parent does this when their children go to school, it's just part of being a parent...

the difference with true unschooling though, is there is no structured learning, ever, unless the children ask for it. it's more a lifestyle than anything. children learn through their life experiences instead of books... the best way i can describe it is what you do when your children are not in school, we do all the time...
    Christina

mom to Paul 11/15/02

*loving being a homeschooling mom*

*Asperger Syndrome makes life interesting*