Thread: Escarole

Default Escarole

My dear husband wanted to do me a favor and buy some lettuce for us tonight. What he brought home, though, was escarole. Does anyone have a recipe that they like that uses escarole? He brought home two huge heads of it! We have no other lettuce to mix it with in a salad, so I'll need some sort of recipe maybe to cook?

Recipes, please, anyone...anyone...ANYONE!

Thanks!
    Helping people live naturally, go green and stay healthy from their cleaners to body care to their kitchens! www.watkinsonline.com/mjweinhardt

I don't even know what that is! lol

I believe it is Itialian. Could you shred it up and put it in lasagna much like you would cook spinach in lasagna? Or sub it for anything you would put spinach in? Put it in soup? Sautee it with olive oil, garlic?
    Rachel, mama of 3 BOYS C (9/14/98), Z (9/8/06), E (5/10/08)

Yeah, thanks Rachel. All the recipes I'm seeing online sound like you can substitute it for spinach or chard. I think that's what I'll have to do because I don't know what else to do with all this green!! I may end up just chopping, blanching and freezing it. Sigh. I really wanted a good salad today, too. Oh well. The thought was nice and I'm glad my husband wanted to do me a favor!
    Helping people live naturally, go green and stay healthy from their cleaners to body care to their kitchens! www.watkinsonline.com/mjweinhardt

yeah, as a salad alone it might be too overpowering. Apparently its a bit bitter when its raw from what I read. So its a good mix with other greens but not on its own. I bet it would be just fine to freeze and add to soups and casseroles though! Thats a good idea!
    Rachel, mama of 3 BOYS C (9/14/98), Z (9/8/06), E (5/10/08)