Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bike Park at Mount Trashmore

Has anybody been to the new bike park at Mount Trashmore? I have heard there have been many kids injured there since it opened a week or so ago.
    Kim
    Mom to 2 boys (ages 7 and 5)!

Nope haven't gone yet. I want to though. It is an unsupervised park so kids and parents both need to be aware of the risks and dangers.
    Rachel, mama of 3 BOYS C (9/14/98), Z (9/8/06), E (5/10/08)

I know of an 8 year old that was there with his parent and went over a small hill (smaller than a speed bump) and somehow went head first off the bike and is now in ICU at MacMaster in Hamilton. He was wearing a helmet at the time.

I also heard that on the same day as his accident a 5 year old did basically the same thing and ended up at MacMaster. She has since died from her injury.
    Kim

I havent seen this track yet, but from other bike park tracks I have seen, these are not for beginners..particularly for 5-8 yr olds...I certainly wouldnt let my almost 11 yr old on them, helmet or no. But I guess because I have been a mountain biker for a few years I know that these things are dangerous where other parents might not see the dangers. I would not let my sons on a course like this until they are 16 at least.
    And unfortunatly people think that if yo have a helmet you are protected. but on tracks and trails, this isnt the case. Helmet dont protect the neck and spine...they only protect your skull from smacking on the pavement which really doesnt happen all that often. It is sad and unfortunate.
    I hope the little guy you know pulls through. So sad.

I believe the age for this particular bike park is 6 and up. He was not on the big trails but a small little one.
    Kim

Looks really cool and read an article about it today. My impression... even though they boast it is good for all skill levels, and pictured a 4yr old on the course, the least skilled reference made was "novice". Looks good for those with already developed skills I think.

Quote Originally Posted by cnnmom View Post
    Has anybody been to the new bike park at Mount Trashmore? I have heard there have been many kids injured there since it opened a week or so ago.
    The ambulance has had to come out 6 times in the first week for injuries. It looks scary to me we wont be going.

Oh btw it is posted ride at your own risk.

I am aware it is ride at your own risk but I also believe that parents have the right to know how many injuries have already occured there. I may look at the tiny little hills and think my child is okay to use this but if I knew how many injuries have already happened there that may change my opinion. I also worry that since it is unsupervised kids that believe they are capable of it may do some of the bigger hills without the knowledge of the parents. Many 12 year olds may be out riding their bikes on their own and use this park. I think it is a danger and many people will be injured or die there all in the name of fun.
    Kim