Angry Family Responsibility Office

Anyone ever had to deal with this office? They are supposed to help enforce court orders for Child support (among other things).

Since we've moved here I've had to apply with this office as BC obviously won't take any more action on my file. To make a long story short, I submitted my application late October and up til yesterday, I still have another 30 - 60 days before my file will be open!!! I am beyond frustrated at this point, it's absolutely ridiculous!!! 7+ months for them to open the file. And of course, the agent I wind up talking to yesterday is not the friendliest. I just don't know what more to do, the kids father hasn't paid in a year and the longer this darn file takes to open the more arrears are going to build. I wrote a letter to my MPP yesterday, but who knows what, if anything, will come from that.
    Anyway, just needed a quick vent and wondering what experiences other people have had with this office.
    Mom to Bryan (15), Shae-Lynn (12) Thoren (6)

I am a Mortgage Agent with Dominion Lending - I will shop all the banks and financial institutions to get the best rate and product for YOU! Whether it be a new mortgage, refinancing or you're looking to consolidate debt - Let me help you!

I have never had to deal with them, so I have no advice. Just wanted to send you some virtual support. That must be so frustrating. I hate how so many men are able to get away with not supporting their children.
    Willow
    Mom to David (4) and Mary (May10, 2009)

I dealt with them a long time ago and yes, they took forever to do anything, but even when they did start working on the case, they really didn't do anything. My ex received letters about making payments, but they didn't do anything else, besides keep track of how much the payments kept going up. In over 2 years, he never received anything saying they were finally taking him to court. I hope they've changed some and you have success once they open your file.
    Allyson
    Mom to Ariel (19), Aidan (7) and Rowan (6)
    Owner of www.ladybugsandlullabies.ca & Beachbody/Shakeology Coach www.myshakeology.com/Allie262

Default FRO - Additional Info

I have been registered with the FRO since 2007. My ex is currently behind in payments 12,000.00. I have also been through the entire laundry list of enforcement actions and currently am waiting for the writ of commital to be issued from his December 2008 hearing where he was ordered to pay or face 10 days for every default...I think he is at about 50+ days now. My only recommendation for you is to call them DAILY!! Irritate them, fax into them until you see some action. I recently have been writing directly to the Minister of Finance on the Gov of ontario website. I am hoping that since she "heads" up the program and has been such an advocate for the FRO and good parents pay that she might be able to light a fire under them. JUST DON'T GIVE UP...keep fighting for what you are entitled to! Also...make sure if your order entitles to you to an interest rate on arrears that you complete the statement of arrears and have that amount included also. I was seriously thinking about a creating some kind of an alliance or what not to try and help other single mothers who do not know how to "force" the system or complete thier statements of arrears or how to even ensure that thier support orders are properly drafted. Lawyers charge too much and don't really care about these mothers that are fighting to support thier children. I will do this in the hopes that a lot voices hit harder then just mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Frustrated Mom View Post
    I have been registered with the FRO since 2007. My ex is currently behind in payments 12,000.00. I have also been through the entire laundry list of enforcement actions and currently am waiting for the writ of commital to be issued from his December 2008 hearing where he was ordered to pay or face 10 days for every default...I think he is at about 50+ days now. My only recommendation for you is to call them DAILY!! Irritate them, fax into them until you see some action. I recently have been writing directly to the Minister of Finance on the Gov of ontario website. I am hoping that since she "heads" up the program and has been such an advocate for the FRO and good parents pay that she might be able to light a fire under them. JUST DON'T GIVE UP...keep fighting for what you are entitled to! Also...make sure if your order entitles to you to an interest rate on arrears that you complete the statement of arrears and have that amount included also. I was seriously thinking about a creating some kind of an alliance or what not to try and help other single mothers who do not know how to "force" the system or complete thier statements of arrears or how to even ensure that thier support orders are properly drafted. Lawyers charge too much and don't really care about these mothers that are fighting to support thier children. I will do this in the hopes that a lot voices hit harder then just mine.
    I think an alliance would be a wonderful idea.
    Willow
    Mom to David (4) and Mary (May10, 2009)