PDA

View Full Version : Summer Homeschool ;)

SpinMom
07-18-2012, 01:54 PM
I can't believe it's been an entire year already since we started homeschooling!
What a year it's been! We're relaxed about school and really do take more of an unschooling/child lead approach.

Who else will be continuing school throughout the summer?

I think our slow and steady pace throughout the year really works for us!

I am slowly collecting books for this year. My 5 year old wants to learn about Canada and "running faster" LOL!

tinkandnuggetsmom
07-19-2012, 12:18 PM
this is probably a really silly question, but I still struggle with understanding how homeschool/unschooling works when it comes to test, high school, graduation... How do you test to make sure there at the right level as the other kids in there grade? at the end of high school do they have to get a GED or do they get a diploma? this road is not for me, but Im fascinated by all you families that choose this road.

Karen
07-19-2012, 02:13 PM
this is probably a really silly question, but I still struggle with understanding how homeschool/unschooling works when it comes to test, high school, graduation... How do you test to make sure there at the right level as the other kids in there grade? at the end of high school do they have to get a GED or do they get a diploma? this road is not for me, but Im fascinated by all you families that choose this road.

There are lots of options for high school.

You can go the completely independent route, use VLC which is an online learning program offered through one of the Ontario school boards, use curriculum and its associated tests and develop your own transcript. Some families issue their own diploma, some use an umbrella school through the US. Most don't bother. Kids can write the GED, but depending on what their plans are, it may not be the best approach.

In terms of how post secondary admissions is handled, there are lots of options there too.

High school kids can get 6 OSSDs from VLC or openlearning.ca and use those to apply. They can use a portfolio approach and a summary of their coursework. They can take courses at an open University (there are a few now - some IRL and some online options) and transfer to a bricks and morter school after they have completed a semester or a year's worth of courses. They can write the SATS or AP courses and use those. They can wait and apply as a mature student.

With respect to making sure that kids are at grade level - most curriculum is grade levelled which is helpful for things like math. The requirements for grade level knowledge and skills are easily accessible online. We don't test. I know what my kids know based on our conversations and readings. Grading has very little to do with learning or retaining knowledge.

hth
Karen

Karen
07-19-2012, 02:14 PM
I can't believe it's been an entire year already since we started homeschooling!
What a year it's been! We're relaxed about school and really do take more of an unschooling/child lead approach.

Who else will be continuing school throughout the summer?

I think our slow and steady pace throughout the year really works for us!

I am slowly collecting books for this year. My 5 year old wants to learn about Canada and "running faster" LOL!

We go all through the summer but at a slower pace for book work and we increase the out-of-the-house learning.

Love Canada studies. What books have you found. The Big Book of Canada and the Story of Canada are two of my favourites.

tinkandnuggetsmom
07-19-2012, 04:50 PM
There are lots of options for high school.

You can go the completely independent route, use VLC which is an online learning program offered through one of the Ontario school boards, use curriculum and its associated tests and develop your own transcript. Some families issue their own diploma, some use an umbrella school through the US. Most don't bother. Kids can write the GED, but depending on what their plans are, it may not be the best approach.

In terms of how post secondary admissions is handled, there are lots of options there too.

High school kids can get 6 OSSDs from VLC or openlearning.ca and use those to apply. They can use a portfolio approach and a summary of their coursework. They can take courses at an open University (there are a few now - some IRL and some online options) and transfer to a bricks and morter school after they have completed a semester or a year's worth of courses. They can write the SATS or AP courses and use those. They can wait and apply as a mature student.

With respect to making sure that kids are at grade level - most curriculum is grade levelled which is helpful for things like math. The requirements for grade level knowledge and skills are easily accessible online. We don't test. I know what my kids know based on our conversations and readings. Grading has very little to do with learning or retaining knowledge.

hth
Karen

thank you, I think that is the clearest I have ever had it explained.. :) Im glad this works for your family, and I wish you all the best with it

SpinMom
07-21-2012, 12:39 PM
We go all through the summer but at a slower pace for book work and we increase the out-of-the-house learning.

Love Canada studies. What books have you found. The Big Book of Canada and the Story of Canada are two of my favourites.

I am still deciding what to get. I like the "Canada Close-Up" books! I will check out the two you mentioned. :)