PDA

View Full Version : What are your teens doing this summer?

ecomomma
06-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Ugh. My 14 year old wants to get a job this summer but from what we've discovered so far, none of the typical places **fast food** will hire under 16 years old.

She's pretty much a homebody and I'm really concerned she will just lay in bed/watch TV all summer. She has friends, but I'm learning that the social aspect of teens relationships mainly exist online with social media these days. She is fairly popular and likeable, she has friends at school, but when it's the weekend, she rarely has any plans with these so-called friends....what's up with that?

She's too old for day camp...and it's too expensive!

bratt
06-27-2012, 01:51 AM
Would she be interested in being a campleader in training or something? I have seen them at Bingemans for instance, not sure how you would become one, if it gets paid or what, but might be worth looking into.

When I worked in daycare, I did summercamp, and always loved it, especially going on trips.

bratt
06-27-2012, 01:53 AM
http://www.bingemans.com/bigsplash/cit.php

This is the link for bingemans. I bet if you look around at other camps, they might have something similar.

Joan
06-27-2012, 02:00 AM
Agree, has she thought about volunteering at a camp, some may still have opportunities. Our daughter is 12 turning 13 and is attending camp for one week and then volunteering at a girls only camp for a week. She will also probably babysit on occasional to earn some spending money. She swims a lot in the summer which is something she can do with friends or solo. Agree completely with the social media... who needs to actually see a person and speak to them when you can "talk" online... Would be interested in seeing what else teens are up to.

tinkandnuggetsmom
06-27-2012, 11:23 AM
goodlife offers free summer memberships to teens.. I dont know the rules on it but its something

ecomomma
06-27-2012, 12:19 PM
She wants nothing to do with taking care of kids :( She's has a 6 and 7 year old bro and sis (and they don't get along most days).

She is thinking about signing up for the Goodlife thing ( I am a memeber there as well), however, teens can only work out between 8am-4pm. She won't go without me, (too shy) but since I have my younger two home, I can't make it to the gym until evening most days.

She is really wanting to get a leg up on her volunteer hours for highschool, but most things are involving taking care of kids. She has done some tree planting at Huron Nature Area, and has her name in to volunteer at the Octoberfest, that's about it....

newmama
06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
If she contacts HRDC for students they often have an odd job squad. Employerswill have jobs that are one or a few days...gardening, babysitting, packing, cleaning, delivering flyers...I even saw snake catching once lol. Good way to earn some cash without commiting to a job all summer.

SAHM23BOYS
06-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Some of my friends' teenagers are getting jobs at the St. Jacobs farmers market this summer. It's an early rise on Saturdays, but they seem to be excited about it.

tinkandnuggetsmom
06-27-2012, 03:35 PM
theres lots of non childcare volunteering out there..
http://volunteerkw.ca/searchform.php?Form=Volunteer_Positions_YouthSearc h

KitchenerMom
06-27-2012, 04:54 PM
I was hired as a bus girl at the Ali Baba Steak house as soon as I turned 14... Have the laws changed ???

newmama
06-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Different industries legally have different minimum age requirements. It depends on the job.

Karen
06-27-2012, 06:17 PM
My 14 year old is volunteering at the local museum a couple of days a week and we are looking for another volunteer gig, maybe at the small local radio station.
Our summers tend not to look too too different from our school days and we will do some fun stuff together.

I can't believe he's 14 - it feels like time with him is so short now.

Tanya-Mae
07-21-2012, 01:28 AM
libraries have opportunities to volunteer that do not necessarily require contact with young kids. I'm looking into that for my daughter.

snowrose
02-16-2013, 08:51 AM
DD is turning 13 at the end of the summer. Right now she's only going to a 2 week summer camp with a friend in late August. I'd love to start looking around to get an idea of what's out there for next year.

I love the idea of the local radio station. I've always said that DD would make a great disc jockey.

Tursed
02-05-2021, 04:27 PM
I am lucky that I live alone and therefore I can devote all my free time to video games. But sometimes I ask for help on the site https://askboosters.com/wow-mythic-carry/ and here they do it very quickly and efficiently instead of me, I really trust these guys.

ClairR77
04-12-2021, 04:06 AM
I have two kids and since caurantine it was not easy to find anything to do. My older one is 14 now and he is now enjoing playing ping-pong (http://pingpongacademy.org/best-table-tennis-net/) lately..
It`d be so good to take him to the simmer camp like sport summer camp