PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Parents For French..

KitchenerMom
03-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Soooooooooooo... with all this french talk I came across this website.. http://www.cpfont.on.ca/

Basically what it is a national network of volunteers that values French as an integral part of Canada and is dedicated to the promotion and creation of French second language learning opportunities for young Canadians.

In Ontario they have numerous local Chapters across the province that carry out activities that support French as a second language (FSL) learning both inside and outside of the classroom.

Their Position statements is what caught my eye..

Canadian Parents for French (Ontario) Position Statements
1. Access
It is the position of CPF Ontario that all Ontario students, including newly arrived immigrants and new residents to the province, have a right to access quality Core French, Extended French and French Immersion programs as a means of learning Canada's other official language and that the province and school boards are responsible for removing barriers to participation and retention through graduation.

2. FSL Program Quality
It is the position of CPF Ontario that all FSL programs deliver high quality language experiences for students with relevant and authentic resources, access to information technology and media, qualified proficient staff and cultural enhancement.

3. Accountability
It is the position of CPF Ontario that the Ministry of Education and school boards be accountable for FSL policy, programming, student achievement, and be transparent in their allocation and expenditure of federal and provincial FSL funds. Consultation should be open, inclusive and documented.

4. Transportation
It is the position of CPF Ontario that all Ontario students have equitable access to free transportation to the FSL program of their choice.

5. Special Education
It is the position of CPF Ontario that all students requiring remedial or gifted support be provided with such support as to allow them to continue to succeed in all FSL programs.

6. EQAO Testing
It is the position of CPF Ontario that all Early French Immersion students in Ontario be exempted from English reading and writing EQAO in Grade 3. When provincial student achievement results are reported, in addition to reporting overall student achievement, French Immersion results are to be reported separately.

7. Parent Engagement
It is the position of CPF Ontario that parent involvement at the school board level is strengthened through CPF representation on each PIC (Parent Involvement Committee).

8. Parent Engagement
It is the position of CPF Ontario that the ministry mandates an FSL Advisory Committee (FSLAC) within each school board which includes staff, parent, and trustee representation.

But what I found out is that Kitchener does NOT have a chapter.. we have no one advocating for us, no one spreading awareness about the different French programs offered through the board, no one planning french based camps or after school events, no tutoring or mentoring program for french students...

But that is going to change because Im trying my hardest to get a chapter open in the Kitchener area.. If any of you want to be a voting member or be part of this and help me get this chapter open. Please Do! :)

mommyKim
03-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Let me know how I can help.