PDA

View Full Version : How do you afford it?

Emilysofiasmom
02-04-2012, 09:21 PM
How do single moms pull it all off? Is it possible to do it all by yourself on minimum wage? Where do you start?

Meg
02-04-2012, 10:22 PM
I don't really count I guess, because I live at home but I just wanted to offer hugs.

Subsidized daycare would be a big one, help from family/friends, budgeting, baby bonus will likely go up if your income goes down drastically. Side jobs/things you can do from home to supplement daytime income.

mom2girls
02-04-2012, 11:24 PM
There should also be support (child, sometime spousal)

ness_xoxo
02-05-2012, 12:57 AM
I know we already talked about this earlier, but I just wanted to say again- IT IS POSSIBLE!!!! It takes a lot of effort, support from family/friends, sub daycare, baby bonus, child support from father and BUDGETING! But it's completely possible and can be SUPER positive if you keep an optimistic outlook! :D
xoxo

tinkandnuggetsmom
02-05-2012, 01:42 AM
I live below min-wage... We are on Social Assistance. We make do with less, that's how I do it. The kids don't suffer or want for anything, but we have less.. We don't eat fancy foods(I don't think I would anyway lol) I like second hand stores and my outreach worker and the Cambridge Food bank and Co-op are saviours. I coupon and price match, I stock up when I have extra money, I have child care through the region (there is a waiting list) my family helps out, I have great friends, we do as many free activities as we can find. I keep track of every dine I spend and Im learning everyday how to make it better..

Its not easy but it is do able

ladybugmama
02-05-2012, 01:59 AM
you can get some assistance from ontario works even if you work - my sister works a minimum wage job (or close to it) and has gotten this assistance for some time. it's also nice because you get some benefits.

as pp said though, you cut back. decide what's a necessity, and what's not. make a budget. coupon, and price match. buy non-name brands.

also, if you're newly separated, Ontario works has a program where they will pay you the full amount for child tax that you will be entitled to once re-assessed (you can apply to be reassessed after being separated for 90 days) - then once the reassessment goes through, the back pay for the child tax pays back what you were advanced from OW. so that can really help too.

Bethikinz
02-05-2012, 01:50 PM
It's doable. I was a single mom for a few years. I made more than minimum wage, but my ex barely gave anything for child support (only $203.00/month - it's still that!). I made due by renting a room out to a friend for a while. I drove an old car. I relied on my family for babysitting.
There are programs that will pay for you to go back to school and get some skills to get a better paying job. It won't be forever. Good luck.

ontario_gyrl
02-05-2012, 02:14 PM
i was a single mom for almost 2 years.............Its not easy but it can be done!!

the region will give you sooo much help, plus you can apply for the $1500 start up (that pretty much anyone can get) to help with moving costs

i also found that living a neighbour hood where i could walk to everything was nice as well, it kept car costs down

But really Jess, you are stronger than you give your self credit for!! i know you can do it

erinladybug
02-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I was a single mom for several years, I'm here if you want to talk. I don't have much time to type, but I'm just a PM away, and can give you my number if you need to chat.

Meg
02-05-2012, 05:06 PM
But really Jess, you are stronger than you give your self credit for!! i know you can do it

Can I just echo this x 1,000,000?

Just know that we're all here for you if you ever need anything. I mean it, anything at all.