PDA

View Full Version : Kindy registration 2011?

Corrie
12-30-2011, 05:00 PM
When does this start? are there any schools here that havea half day or A/B day programs? my little guy is an End of Dec baby so will be 3 for the first third of the year He's also never been away from me So I don't know how he'll handle it

thanks for any info

Prid5
12-30-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure when registration starts. They don't have it up yet on the wrdsb site yet.
I don't know what area you are in, but you can find all the info you need about the school in your area though, and what program they offer when your LO starts school.
http://www.wrdsb.ca/schools/how-register/kindergarten-registration

Our school (Sandhills P.S) doesn't start the full day every day until 2014 and by then my littlest one will be in grade one. Last year they started the all day every other split and it seems to be working very well.

mom2girls
12-30-2011, 05:41 PM
I think you are looking at either Crestview or Franklin, depending on exactly where you are (pm me if you want, I can let you know). Franklin is full day everyday, crestview is every other day (and will be part of the last bunch to go every day). I believe both have blended jk/sk classes (I like that).

mumof2monkeys
12-30-2011, 06:27 PM
I think most registrations for jk is February.

ontario_gyrl
12-30-2011, 07:37 PM

This!!
And on the WRDSB site you can type in your address and find out what school you are in the area for

Corrie
12-30-2011, 08:57 PM
is there anyway to get my Son into an every other day program other then move?? Anyone know about the catholic School St. Daniel? looks like he'd go to franklin

mom2girls
12-30-2011, 09:33 PM
is there anyway to get my Son into an every other day program other then move?? Anyone know about the catholic School St. Daniel? looks like he'd go to franklin

Honestly, no, there is not the ability to choose school, especially based on the program. St. daniel is every other day, and yes, that's where he'd go in the Catholic system. I can tell you that going from half days last year to full day every other day - it's not the length of the day that seems to be the issue, it's the every other day that alot of the kids seem to struggle with more. I would kill to go back to half days, or be already at every day. One thing I found really helpful (none of mine have been in full time, structured daycare) was to register for the summer playground programs in the summer - extremely cheap for what you get ($25/week, for 2 1/2 hours in the morning or afternoon). It just gave them a bit of exposure to being in a group of kids their age, with someone running the show other than mom;) It was good routine - they bring a snack everyday, so we bought a lunch bag for that. There were days that my dd didn't want to go, and we didn't push the issue (that's why I'm happy with the cost of the program), but I think it was good to give them that bit of a start when there weren't the same kinds of expectations.

The other thing is that if school at his age truly isn't working, you don't have to send him!

Corrie
12-30-2011, 09:49 PM
yeah, I have a lot of experience in early childhood education and I don't have much nice to say about JK especially JK taught by teachers that do not have ECE he'll only be 3 years old and I'm nearly positive he will not handle all day every day kindy... I know JK is "optional" but really it isn't not with how school is structured now. I'm doing a lot of academic work to get him on track/ahead but there is not much I can do about the social development side of being nearly a year younger then some of his peers. We moved from BC where there is no such thing as JK and they are moving to full day kindy as well but without ECE's in class... I'm just relatively certain full day kindy won't be a good fit for him good to know our Catholic school is alternate days or I'd move that's how strongly I feel towards full day kindy :) thank you all for the replies

Syd&Noah'smommy
12-31-2011, 12:49 AM

I am pretty sure this is correct.

I met one of the kindergarten teachers at Crestview today she's a new member where I work and she's seen quite awesome.