PDA

View Full Version : Confused and seeking advice

momofthreecuties
10-16-2011, 01:32 AM
My son is in gr 1 - I posted a few times about the struggles he is having reading and writing. I am thinking (and possibly over-thinking) what might be going on. I have some concerns that he may have ADHD, he has a hard time focusing on things, is forgetful, has a hard time acting calmly in lots of situations. But, he is also a 5 year old boy. I was reading about dyslexia (both his dad and his aunt are dyslexic) and read that many sympotms are the same and it often get mis-diasgnosed. One weird symptom was a heightened sensativity to pain. My son will howl like a limb has been severed if he so much as gets a scrape. So part of me is thinking that I am "finding" wasys to make his symptoms make more sense to me (because honestly, I find his behaviour exhausting), and the other part of me thinks that something may actually be wrong.

So my questions are a) do you (like my dh) think that I am being paranoid and b) where do I start if I suspect ADHD or dyslexia?

Thanks,

dubhreubel
10-16-2011, 01:51 AM
I think if your mommy senses are tingling, it does no harm to mention your concerns to your sons doctor. They can refer you to somebody if needed, or reassure you that he's within the normal range if not. If you don't you'll keep worrying, and paranoid or not, that's not good for you or your family ((hugs))

I suggest bringing in a list of things and specific incidents that you've noticed so you don't forget once you're there (sadly, that is from personal experience.)

SpinMom
10-16-2011, 01:52 AM
Trust your mommy instincts!

When I wasn't sure who to contact for direction, I called the Healthy Babies Healthy Kids line, they gave me the number for Kidsability.

I am dyslexic, I remember my mom taking me to the eye doctor to be diagnosed.

KitchenerMom
10-16-2011, 01:56 AM
I think if your mommy senses are tingling, it does no harm to mention your concerns to your sons doctor. They can refer you to somebody if needed, or reassure you that he's within the normal range if not. If you don't you'll keep worrying, and paranoid or not, that's not good for you or your family ((hugs))

I suggest bringing in a list of things and specific incidents that you've noticed so you don't forget once you're there (sadly, that is from personal experience.)

This..

There is no harm going to the doctor.. And if you dont, this will eat you up. ***hugs***

dragonfly76
10-16-2011, 12:08 PM

i'll third this.

my dh told me i was paraniod when i was voicing concerns when my ds was 2, and well, i wasn't. so, you never know.

and if it does turn out to be nothing, then you've looked into it and you know for sure.

either way, the earlier you know for sure the better, because your ds can get help if he needs it, so i'd say your best bet would be to make a doctors appointment and go from there.

just a word of caution... if a doctor suspects ADHD, make sure you get a full assessment done first, to confirm... my ds was diagnosed from a checklist by a pediatritian, then told after a full assessment that every symptom was sensory issues, not true ADHD...(i'm still not 100% convinced he doesn't have it, though)

if you want to do some reading before you go to the doctor's, i'd reccomend 'the out of sync child' (can't remember the author) it is all about sensory issues, which i thought of when you mentioned his sensitivity to pain... if he has sensory issues it can mimic a lot of different disorders...

Prid5
10-16-2011, 12:46 PM
I'll forth the suggestion to make an appointment to voice your concerns to your doctor and take along your list of concerns. Even specific times and days where you have noticed these things, sort of like a journal would be very helpful.

My husband and I both knew from very early on that our oldest was struggling, we were always dismissed, by family, even by our family doctor. We were told we weren't doing this right or were too strict or to lenient (make up your mind people!). I swear we felt like failures as parents most of the time and it was stressful.

Good luck!

tinkandnuggetsmom
10-16-2011, 01:13 PM
There is no harm looking into things.. I am dyslexic and did not know until highschool.. it would have been a great help to know younger.. I cant handle pain at all..lol I still cry like Im dying when its something little

ontario_gyrl
10-16-2011, 02:38 PM
my DS1 is ADHD........but he was showing signs from an early age, but once he started school we knew......i took all my concerns and the schools concerns to the doctor and she did an assessment on him and than sent up to the child physiologist at GRH and she than did a full assessment

go with your gut and look into it............and to be honest, its better to get it fixed now and only help him along in school than keep putting it off and have him struggle

momofthreecuties
10-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all thre replies. Prid5 - my dh is where the rest of your family sounds like they were. He accuses me of being too lenient, too involved, a bad parents etc because of the behaviour he sees in my ds. I have an eye dr appt set for them in a few weeks. I think I will wait for that and then make an appt with my dr. That will be close to the time for parent teacher interviews so I can discuss it then with the teacher.

ronaldsmom
10-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Sorry... did read the other posts first so I apologize if this has been mentioned. What about getting the Spec Ed teacher at school involved? She might be able to refer you somewhere or know who to put you in contact with to get him tested. Also mention your concerns to the teacher. She could keep an eye out for any thing you might want to know, for when you do get to talk to a professional.