PDA

View Full Version : Part-time school?

Mother Hen
09-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Has anyone taken a course in college a few classes at a time?
I'd like to take some courses but I can't take them all at once and even part time might be a bit much right now with two little ones.
I'm not sure if it would work out if I take a few classes at a time.
Anyone do this?

Shiraz
09-13-2011, 03:13 AM
It can be pretty manageable to do one course a term. I did that for an eight-course certificate while working full-time. There are also many courses that you can do as part of a distance education program; many of these can be done online, so you never have to leave the house.

I am sure you can do it, if you are determined enough and motivated enough to do the homework :D

Mother Hen
09-13-2011, 03:26 AM
I'd like to and was looking into it before I left London. I'll have to check out Conestoga to see what they have to offer.

KaitlynneS
09-13-2011, 04:21 AM
I am taking a bookkeeping course at conestoga. Last semester I took 2 classes, this semester I am taking 1 because I'm on shift work and they offer the class online.

PikaJen
09-13-2011, 01:21 PM
I am taking two classes per semester at Laurier. I was taking just one, but I bumped it up this year in hopes to graduate before I die. This is my first time being on campus and it's awkward being 10 years older than everyone.

Mother Hen
09-13-2011, 01:27 PM
I went to college when I was 23 and felt the age gap for sure! That's one big issue with going to the actual school! LOL
I'm not even sure if the course I want to take is offered part time here.

Bronwynr
09-13-2011, 01:49 PM
I was 30 when I started taking some part time courses at Conestoga. I'm slowing working on a post grad diploma in HR. I did 5 classes...then took 3 years off to have 2 kids...and now I"m thinking of starting back in January. I only take once at a time...otherwise it's too stressful...

Mother Hen
09-13-2011, 09:08 PM
That's why I was thinking of just starting slow, with two kids under 2 too much school might be a bit overwhelming!

Meg
09-13-2011, 09:20 PM
I would love to go part time, but right now it just makes more sense for me to go full time and get it over with.

I think one or two courses per semester is easily manageable. I love online courses, but you have to be dedicated enough to actually do the readings and work.

Shiraz
09-13-2011, 10:28 PM
I was 30 when I started taking some part time courses at Conestoga. I'm slowing working on a post grad diploma in HR. I did 5 classes...then took 3 years off to have 2 kids...and now I"m thinking of starting back in January. I only take once at a time...otherwise it's too stressful...

I did the HR program, too :)

Shiraz
09-13-2011, 10:29 PM
I went to college when I was 23 and felt the age gap for sure! That's one big issue with going to the actual school! LOL
I'm not even sure if the course I want to take is offered part time here.

You are certainly not limited to colleges and universities in the area. Any school with a decent online program will let you enroll. There are many schools that offer whole programs using online courses, especially in distance education.