PDA

View Full Version : Homeschoolers - what are your fall plans?

Karen
08-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Care to share what's on tap for your family in the next few months?
Cool lessons or co-ops?
Fun curriculum?
Field trips or family trips?
I need some inspiration.
Karen

SpinMom
08-30-2011, 12:11 AM
I need some inspiration, too!

I have a feeling that my new job is going to be a bit of a challenge, I was looking forward to having a bit of a routine. Oh retail!!

I know for sure we are going to be focusing a lot on growing our own food indoors...should be a fun experiment!

dragonfly76
08-30-2011, 12:35 AM
hmmmm... for us....

ds has a new penpal so i'm hoping that will inspire some writing on his part, lol... (i'm starting to worry there may be issues in that department)

we're planning some day trips to the ROM, and hopefully the science centre and toronto zoo... also looking to plan some local day trips...

ds is very much into ancient egypt still... has a couple of major projects on the go...

cubs starts soon (i'm reminded of that fact daily, lol) and ds is super excited to go back...

Karen
08-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Ok so I will add mine - sketchy as they may be

As a family we will do a study of First Nations culture and history in the first 6 weeks or so. It coincides with a Native Spirituality unit my kids will be learning in the SD class at our UU congregation. We'll head out to a couple of the local festivals, pow wows etc and I think I will schedule a field trip to Woodland in Brantford and maybe one at WCM in Fergus. Hoping to schedule one to St Marie Among the Hurons as well. Need to work on my reading list for that.

We've got a trip to the zoo planned - will do a bit around biodiversity - rewatch the Planet Earth dvds and do a bit around the tree of life.

We'll do world history and human body starting in Oct/Nov but I haven't planned everything out around that yet.

Our Friday co-op kicks off again in September. This year we are doing roots and shoots, programs at GRCA nature centres, volunteering, and art. Can't remember all the specifics but it always works well.

My youngest son and DH have planned a Lego Robotics program for his friends that will start in September and run til December. Need to think about field trips and non-lego stuff to do in the winter if this group works well together.

Need to plan something for my girls - thinking of hosting a series of fibre arts activities to meet some new local homeschoolers.

Weekly activities will start up soon - on tap this fall is hockey, choir, curling, and maybe swimming.
lol
I feel exhausted and we haven't even started.
Karen

Karen
09-20-2011, 04:25 PM
How is everyone doing? Getting organized and slipping back into a schedule?

September is always so crazy busy and I am tired from all the preserving/household stuff that needs to be done.
We are a bit hit and miss for the day to day stuff.

I'm reading Heidi to the kids and while I love the story I find reading it a slog - maybe it is a bad translation. Sentences run on for ever and I get lost in them. Sometimes there are words that make no sense.

LOL - next book is definitely something lighter.

dragonfly76
09-20-2011, 04:46 PM
nothing solid here yet... lol... my sister is getting married this coming saturday (24th), ds is going to be standing at the front of the church handing out programs...

cubs is going again, and ds is enjoying it (he is super thrilled that his birthday this year falls on a cub night and he wants to bring mini cupcakes for everyone, lol)

ds loves heidi (i think moreso because his father is swiss and his grandmother has talked about the town where the book takes place...) we read it a while ago... according to MIL it sounds better in swiss or in german, lol...

these past couple of weeks ds has been into physics, and things like sub-atomic particles and interstellar matter and black holes... we went on sunday to the perimiter institute's psyisica fantastica... the amount of people really bothered him, but he liked it a lot!

Karen
09-20-2011, 05:02 PM
these past couple of weeks ds has been into physics, and things like sub-atomic particles and interstellar matter and black holes... we went on sunday to the perimiter institute's psyisica fantastica... the amount of people really bothered him, but he liked it a lot!

Hey - we were there too! Loved the black hole demonstration in particular. There were fewer things this year than there had been in the past though.

SpinMom
09-21-2011, 11:34 PM
We are doing okay!
I was kind of feeling weird for a bit being the only one in my small circle of friends whos kid was not having the typical "first day of school" but I am over it now. Jack is on a field trip right now- he's in Bancroft for the week with his Aunt...couldn't have done that if he were in public school :)