PDA

View Full Version : Hey Homeschoolers - what are your families up to this summer?

Karen
07-10-2011, 04:10 AM
I thought I would start a thread for homeschoolers to check in and share what kinds of things their kids are up to this summer.
Any passions they are following?
Any cool camps - and how do they do with those?
Any "educational" trips planned?
Do you follow any kind of learning schedule through the summer or is it more free flowing?

And what about you - do you plan in the summer? Recharge? Read and reflect? Nap? :D

Come and share!
Karen

SpinMom
07-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Jack has a huge interest in SPELLING!! I think it's so cool of him :) We've been doing a lot of sounding out words and making various lists of words. He is doing SO well.

Jack also is into worms lately which is perfect timing since we are going to be getting our worm compost next week.

Nothing really planned for the summer as far as trips since we are on a small budget this summer. We do a lot of park hopping though :)

We're free flowing this summer and will try to have a little structure come the fall...when we will be "officially" entering Kindergarten!

dragonfly76
07-11-2011, 05:55 PM
this year my sister and i went halves on a membership for valens and we're using that a lot.

ds has a social skills group session this week, today is his first day...

i found a math textbook at value village and ds was very excited about it (it happened to be a grade 4 textbook, which he would be going into if he were in school) we plan to work through it at his own pace...

other than that it's the same old same old... we don't really change things for the summer...

dragonfly76
07-11-2011, 06:31 PM
oh i forgot to mention passions, lol... right now ds is very much into ancient egypt, the middle ages, ancient greece and chemistry. he's also very keen on learning to cook...

Karen
07-12-2011, 04:01 AM
Jack has a huge interest in SPELLING!! I think it's so cool of him :) We've been doing a lot of sounding out words and making various lists of words. He is doing SO well.

Jack also is into worms lately which is perfect timing since we are going to be getting our worm compost next week.

Nothing really planned for the summer as far as trips since we are on a small budget this summer. We do a lot of park hopping though :)

We're free flowing this summer and will try to have a little structure come the fall...when we will be "officially" entering Kindergarten!

Cool about the worm compost. I had a young hsing friend turn his worm compost into a small business - very cool.

I so love the learning to spell stage. Those phonetic notes that sometimes take a bit of mental gymnastics to figure out - they are over way too soon.

Are you nervous about starting K? Will you be taking a structured approach? Or child lead?

Honestly I loved homeschooling little ones - well I love homeschooling bigger-medium sized ones too. I think I need to homeschool my grandkids -lol - It's just so much fun!

Karen
07-12-2011, 04:09 AM
this year my sister and i went halves on a membership for valens and we're using that a lot.

ds has a social skills group session this week, today is his first day...

i found a math textbook at value village and ds was very excited about it (it happened to be a grade 4 textbook, which he would be going into if he were in school) we plan to work through it at his own pace...

other than that it's the same old same old... we don't really change things for the summer...

Yeah we don't change a lot through the summer either. Two of my kids need regular skills work so we keep up with the basics at least.

What math textbook did you find? We're using Singapore mostly, with some living math, hands on algebra and Challenge math thrown in for fun. I tend to collect math curriculum - lol.
We have a couple of old school text books from thrift shops as well - mostly for reference if my kids want a different way of looking at a problem.

His interests sound very cool.
I am looking at doing a chemistry unit with my kids this summer (when we can make messes outside - lol). I just bought Ellen McHenry's chemistry programs (which are all based on cooking)
Haven't gone through them in detail yet but I like what I can see so far.

We have a GRCA pass which we love. Rockwood has some free with admission nature programs scheduled twice a week all summer - we do them whenever we can. It's worth the price of the pass imo. Rockwood is our favourite park. We did a Guy Fawkes night party at Valens a few years ago - it was lovely.

karen

dragonfly76
07-12-2011, 01:19 PM
i think it's just a school textbook? it's 'nelson's mathematics 4' it was $3 so i figured i try it because ds has been asking for more formal stuff lately. i've been looking into singapore, i've heard good things about it (although i'm reluctant to spend the money if it doesn't really 'fit', lol...)

chemistry is fun, although it does hurt my brain... ds loves the periodic table, lol... he has SUCH a passion for the sciences! (and it was one subject i didn't really excell at, lol) trying to find experiments we can safely do at home is another challenge (this morning he told me he wanted to make greek fire... i told him i don't think our neighbours would like it if we burnt down their house) the chemistry based on cooking sounds fun (and safer than greek fire), i think i'll check that out...

SpinMom
07-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Cool about the worm compost. I had a young hsing friend turn his worm compost into a small business - very cool.

I so love the learning to spell stage. Those phonetic notes that sometimes take a bit of mental gymnastics to figure out - they are over way too soon.

Are you nervous about starting K? Will you be taking a structured approach? Or child lead?

Honestly I loved homeschooling little ones - well I love homeschooling bigger-medium sized ones too. I think I need to homeschool my grandkids -lol - It's just so much fun!

I am not as nervous as I was. Once we decided we were going to home school I started really paying attention to what we are doing already, I feel like there is very little we'll need to "change" to make me feel like we are actually "home schooling." I imagine we'll stick with doing mostly child-led. I do want to introduce a bit of a routine but nothing too serious. Even as simple as we do this specific activity after breakfast or this specific activity after lunch. We'll see how it goes! I am looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

Karen
07-13-2011, 02:44 AM
i think it's just a school textbook? it's 'nelson's mathematics 4' it was $3 so i figured i try it because ds has been asking for more formal stuff lately. i've been looking into singapore, i've heard good things about it (although i'm reluctant to spend the money if it doesn't really 'fit', lol...)

chemistry is fun, although it does hurt my brain... ds loves the periodic table, lol... he has SUCH a passion for the sciences! (and it was one subject i didn't really excell at, lol) trying to find experiments we can safely do at home is another challenge (this morning he told me he wanted to make greek fire... i told him i don't think our neighbours would like it if we burnt down their house) the chemistry based on cooking sounds fun (and safer than greek fire), i think i'll check that out...

I agree with you about not buying stuff that doesn't work - it's a bit of catch 22 because its hard to know what will work sometimes until you try it. Nelson is the textbook that they use in schools here I think - we have a couple of them as well.

Singapore is one of the cheaper math programs I think. I just use the textbook with my kids and they write their answers in a notebook. The textbooks new cost about $12 and you need 2 per grade. But you can often find these used on curriculum sale boards, sales etc.

Greek fire sounds exciting - lol
Karen