PDA

View Full Version : 'Parenting' Books

kwmum
07-05-2011, 09:09 PM
i'm sure that we all have such little leisure time we can hardly read the back of a cereal box, let alone a 'book' :eek:

but, i am curious if you all could share with me your 'fave' parenting books...

i enjoy reading, and am hoping to make some time this summer to focus on it...and would like to intersperse the mindless fiction with something beneficial to the family...

what were the good ones you came across?

thanks in advance...

dragonfly76
07-05-2011, 10:26 PM
mine...

'unconditonal parenting', 'punnished by rewards', and 'no contest, the case against competition', by alfie kohn

'hold onto your kids' by gordon neufeld

'protecting the gift' by gavin debecker

'kids are worth it' by barbara coloroso

Karen
07-06-2011, 03:26 AM
mine...

'unconditonal parenting', 'punnished by rewards', and 'no contest, the case against competition', by alfie kohn

'hold onto your kids' by gordon neufeld

'protecting the gift' by gavin debecker

'kids are worth it' by barbara coloroso

This list - although I have to say I don't love Alfie Kohn's books. I like the concepts and the philosophy for the most part but I can't get through the books, and I disagree with how some parents put UP into play.

In addition I love
~ Kids Parents and Power Struggles by Mary Kurdy Kurchinka,
~ The Shelter of Each other by Mary Pipher,
~ The Heart of Parenting by John Gottman,
~ The Heart of the Family by Meg Cox (great one about family traditions - its OOP but in lots of libraries)
~ Always Be Kind by Zoe Weil (this one is my most recent fave)
~ Raising Life Long Learners (can't remember the author - excellent regardless of the educational path you choose for your kids - best for preschoolers to gr2 set really)
~ Budhism for Mothers by Sarah Napthali.
~ Last Child inthe Woods (love this one - about the need for kids to connect with the natural world.)
~ Peaceful Parents, Peaceful kids by Naomi Drew
~ Siblings without Rivalry by Faber and Mazlish
~ Raising Free Thinkers by Dale McGowan (this is excellent but not for everyone - it's about raising kids outside mainstream spiritual practises).
~ and Growing Up Global - raising kids to be at home in the world by Homa Tavangar - fabulous but less of a how to manual and more a list of suggestions to exposing kids in a shrinking cultural world.

A sentimental favourite is Mitten Strings for God which is an incredibly hokey title for a really lovely book written by a mother who wants to revel inthe everyday-ness of raising her kids. Also OOP I think but worth hunting down. Less about parenting and more about being a mother.

Most of my suggestions are older. I haven't read a tonne of parenting books lately now that my kids are getting older.
I do re-read these ones or refer to them fairly regularly
hth
Karen

atpeace
07-06-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm going to add "Our Babies, Ourselves" by Meredith Small. Very fascinating analysis about why we in North America parent the way we do and comparing it to other cultures, with some studies and such. I've heard lots of controversy about it though, with people saying it's biased and unrealistic, but I loved it.

dragonfly76
07-07-2011, 11:57 AM
oh!! i LOVE LOVE 'last child in the woods'!! a MUST for all parents!!!!

dubhreubel
07-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Those of you who use parenting books, do you recommend buying them for future reference or borrowing from the library? Do you convince your partner to read them as well?

ecomomma
07-07-2011, 01:49 PM
I too love Last Child In the Woods!
Also love Parenting Beyond Belief!!

kwmum
07-07-2011, 03:44 PM
thanks for the posts/suggestions...

i *usually* try and borrow from the library 1st, then if i like it and think it's worthwhile, i'll buy it...(2nd hand whenever possible) (if there are chapters that dh should read..my library fines would be greater than the cost of the book)

i have started a 'list' online, and will order it when i know that someone is going to being the states to pick up, i find the prices are much, much better...

if you think of more, or stumble across one this summer...please feel free to post...

thanks

atpeace
07-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Those of you who use parenting books, do you recommend buying them for future reference or borrowing from the library? Do you convince your partner to read them as well?

Library, 100%.
I tell DH about books but he seldom reads the ones I recommend, although if I have a chapter or two, he'll read it with some prodding. :rolleyes:

Karen
07-08-2011, 02:16 AM

I borrow first if I can then buy the ones I find myself taking out regularly.
I usually read stuff to my DH that I want him to know - just snippets as we are reading in bed before going to sleep. We're pretty much on the same page parenting-wise but if something strikes me as insightful I share it.

My list above are books from my shelf. I actually have multiple copies of some of them for lending out. I try to buy them used as much as possible.

hth
Karen

dubhreubel
07-08-2011, 02:46 AM
I rarely buy books new, but haven't seen a good selection of used parenting stuff anywhere. any store recs?

Karen
07-08-2011, 03:04 AM
I rarely buy books new, but haven't seen a good selection of used parenting stuff anywhere. any store recs?

Macondo in Guelph has a nice selection of parenting books generally. I don't have any Kitchener recommendations - sorry.

Do you use freecycle? You might ask there.
I've also had good luck swapping with friends - trading ones we are finished with for ones we love.

good luck!
Karen

dubhreubel
07-08-2011, 03:31 AM
Thanks Karen!

I agree with somebody from earlier, you're an excellent addition to this board!

Karen
07-08-2011, 03:51 AM
Thanks Karen!

I agree with somebody from earlier, you're an excellent addition to this board!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!
Karen

dragonfly76
07-11-2011, 05:51 PM

library. i don't try to convince dh to read anything... he doesn't read books at all, lol...