PDA

View Full Version : divroce in Canada

srb
12-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi,

I am new here. I did not introduce myself in the introduction section yet...
I am in KW since May 09 with my little daughter, and I came to do my PhD.

I just recently learned that my husband has a girlfriend, and that they are moving in together next month.
It comes all over sudden. Our story is maybe a little bit complicated...I am here in KW and he is in Europe.
He was supposed to follow us asap. But in the last 7 month he was not even able to come and visit us...Now I know why...
However, I would like to divorce asap. Also because he changes everyday his mind and he does not spare to hurt me where he can, so I want to have clear pacts.

Apparently I have to do it here in Canada, but I have no clue how this works here.
Could somebody tell me a little bit about it? I think it is not much different then where I come from (Switzerland), but maybe there are still differences I should be aware of. I have to admit that I do not even know where I should go to start with the procedure.

Thank you!

Christine
12-28-2009, 03:50 PM
So sorry to hear you are going through this. I was divorced about 7 years ago and at that time, you had to be legally separated (have a legal separation signed by you and your husband and filed with the courts) before you could apply for a divorce. There were/are special circumstances under which you could apply for a divorce quicker, however I can't remember what they all are.

I would go for a consultation with a lawyer, especially seeing as he is out of country, to see how you can go about this.

Good luck!
Christine

Prid5
12-28-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm so sorry you have to go through that. I have no advice just offering my support. I believe there is access to legal counsel over the phone, its relatively inexpensive and is charged to your phone bill. I am sorry I don't know what it is called so perhaps another mama on here can help you with that in case you don't have a lawyer here.

dragonfly76
12-28-2009, 07:07 PM
so sorry to hear that!

have you contacted the swiss consulut? i'm sure they would be able to point you in the right direction...

my husbands family is swiss (from aargau) and my mother-in-law got a divorce here easily, but this was back in the 80's, so i know that doesn't help...

hugs to you!!!

christina

mommyKim
12-28-2009, 07:57 PM
I am so sorry you are going through this. I think these are the phone numbers that prid5 was talking about (they were in another thread)

There is a $6 charge to her phone bill but can get a 30 minute free consultation with a lawyer 1 900 565 4577

or

1 800 529 9377

Good luck

Syd&Noah'smommy
12-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Sorry to hear what you are going through HUGS!

I have been divorced once and I believe there needs to be a certain amount of time of seperation before you can file but there are certain circumstances that will speed it up. My advice is to call for some legal advice and proceed from there and be upfront and honest with your lawyer so he can offer you the best defense and options available to you.

srb
12-30-2009, 07:44 PM
thank you all so much for your supports and advices!
I think I will start with contacting some legal advice and then see further...
@dragonfly76 yes I contacted the swiss consulate but they did not answer yet.

to all happy new year

srb
01-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Hello to all,
on thursday I will meet with a lawyer from the university. It will be just a very short 15min meeting, but I hope she will be able to give me some more information and directions.
The problem is just that right now I am so tired and depressed, I am not even sure I really remember all the thing I wanted to ask her.
How was is it for you, were you also sometimes discouraged and not sure if you would really manage it all? It is how I am feeling now, but I know it will change again and everything will work out somehow. It is maybe just a little bit though because I am alone in a still relative new place for me, and I do not know so many people yet.

Meredith
01-29-2010, 05:18 PM
I am mother doing her phd at the university of waterloo as well, and I know other single mothers who are also doing their phd. get in contact with me and we can have coffee on campus. Its always hard to go through things like this all on your own.

jonyfords09
10-21-2010, 02:54 PM
It is very good topic for discussion. Every one can share their thoughts about it. Separation took place in one or both spouses decide to live in the end of their marriage preparation has been completed to provide all the required documents to the court file, so you can get their own intentions, but you divorce.

simonshopes
10-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Separation took place in one place or the couple decided to put the end of their marriage preparation has been completed to provide all the required documents, court files, so you can get your own intentions, but you divorce.