PDA

View Full Version : passports for the kids

Tanya-Mae
10-13-2009, 02:58 PM
How can I get passports for my two kids?

I have been separated from their father since 2003 and have physical interm custody of them... that is as far as we have been able to get in the courts (long story). I have the applications all filled out, including the father's signature authorizing me to get the passports, and a photocopy of the temporary court order which states that I have physical interm custody.

This morning I went in to the passport office and my application was not accepted. I was told that I needed to have a final custody order from the court. When I asked if there were any alternative acceptable things I could provide I was told "no". I need custody finalized through the courts before I can get passports... regardless of the fact that both parents consent to the acquisition of passports

ontario_gyrl
10-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Oh that is awful!!!
Since he signed the papers they should let you!!!

Bethikinz
10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
How frustrating!

Prid5
10-13-2009, 05:06 PM
what would it take to get a finalized custody order? does that mean finalizing the divorce? I can't believe they would do that and not offer any other help.

I did just find out that if you are not flying, children under 16 do not need passports if just going from Canada to the States and back. Im sure that won't help your situation. :( I'm sorry.

Christine
10-13-2009, 05:07 PM
That is awful. I was just trying to think back to when I got my older two theirs and at that point I had full custody of the kids and so didn't even need their father's signature.

Tanya-Mae
10-13-2009, 05:12 PM
I was hoping to go to Cuba this spring with the kids... my parents are returning there (it's like their second home) and it would be nice to piggy-back with them.

I honestly do not think what I was told this morning is the complete story... I just refuse!!!

As much as I'd like to say.. "no biggie" It is a huge obstacle for me because my ex is has not been co-operative in the separation proceedings and I cannot afford to continually waste $1,000's of dollars on my 3rd lawyer who seems content with sending the ex letters asking for financial disclosure... letters that are ignored because they have no "teeth".

ARGGG.....

mommyKim
10-13-2009, 09:48 PM
That is the way they work. I had to get the long birth certificate for ds b/c SO and were not married at the time of his birth. I had the standard bc and all signatures (SO and I live together) but I still had to get the long bc (another $35 due to government beuracracy!)

momtoaQT
10-14-2009, 12:27 AM
I'd give them a call and see if you can get more answers.
I would be completely frustrated too

mom2kalen
10-14-2009, 02:05 AM
Really - that seems strange. My brother in law was able to get a passport for his son and my sister and BIL are only separated (for 3 years now, but not divorced) and no one has a court order or custody.

Krip
10-14-2009, 01:38 PM
My sister has passports for her kids and she is only seperated without a court ordered custody agreement either. And she has travelled to the USA with them

I would call and ask again

mommyKim
10-14-2009, 01:41 PM
My understanding is that they have made several changes to passport regulations since the beginning of the year but it never hurts to ask someone else, maybe you got someone at the office that was being nit-picky that day.

Tanya-Mae
12-27-2009, 04:30 AM
Just to follow up....

I did call the Passport office.. just the toll-free number because that is all that is publicly available. I had to call twice. First time the guy I talked with explained that there was nothing they could do as they were just an information gathering place. He said he would send a message to the Kitchener office on my behalf and assured me someone would get back to me within a few days. I waited and received no response so I called again and talked to a woman this time. According to her I was given incorrect information the first time I called... local passport offices do not return calls.. I would have to go in directly and speak to someone. After I made it clear I was not impressed with the inconsistent information and said it was very inconvienent for me to get to my local office she offerred to contact the Kitchener office for me and mark it as a “complaint“. Apparently complaints are sometimes followed-up with phone calls. Within 48hrs of this I got a call from a manager at the Kitchener passport office. I told her my situation... She said that she couldn't really give me any answers over the telephone.. had to see my documents first-hand.. but saw no reason why I couldn't get passports assuming my interm court order truly was all that I had and it did not state any expiration date (ie date by which this order became invalid and had to be replaced with a new one). She suggested I go to the court house and verify that what I had was all that existed, get copies of everything, and come see her personally. Well, I went to the court house and verified I had everything and proceeded across the road to the passport office. I did not have to wait in any lines and was seen immediately by the manager upon my arrival and she looked over all my papers. Guess what.. passport applications approved and received via registered mail earlier this week!!!! The employee I originally dealt with at the office who denied my application was going to have a talking to. Also, while at the office I asked specifically what the requirement was for the letter from the other parent anytime I wanted to travel with the children and was given a standard template they recommend. All he needs to do is fill in the blanks. Yep... sounds simple enough but surely I'll fight that battle with him when the time comes to travel. One example of “stupid“ successfully put to rest...I HAVE PASSPORTS FOR BOTH THE CHILDREN!!!

ronaldsmom
12-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Yay! I'm sorry it was a hassle, but glad it's finally all sorted out!

KitchenerMom
02-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Thats awesome... and just a heads up from when i took my children to the Bahamas by myself.. I had the same template and it has to be notarized. you can get this done at city hall for free but you both have to be there and show id..

CarterandSawyersMom
02-10-2011, 05:11 PM
That is the way they work. I had to get the long birth certificate for ds b/c SO and were not married at the time of his birth. I had the standard bc and all signatures (SO and I live together) but I still had to get the long bc (another $35 due to government beuracracy!)

I had to do the same thing just before Christmas! I had the short form but because we were not married when he was born i had to have the long. even though we are married now.

2stars past midnight
02-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Thats awesome... and just a heads up from when i took my children to the Bahamas by myself.. I had the same template and it has to be notarized. you can get this done at city hall for free but you both have to be there and show id..
When you went to Bahamas where did you stay?
We went last March & stayed at Atlantis- it was awesome!

KitchenerMom
02-13-2011, 01:34 PM
When you went to Bahamas where did you stay?
We went last March & stayed at Atlantis- it was awesome!

I stayed with Family,. but we did spend a day at Atlantis and it's beautiful!

dubhreubel
02-13-2011, 02:35 PM
what would it take to get a finalized custody order? does that mean finalizing the divorce? I can't believe they would do that and not offer any other help.

I did just find out that if you are not flying, children under 16 do not need passports if just going from Canada to the States and back. Im sure that won't help your situation. :( I'm sorry.

Really? We looked into it about 5 months ago, and they did. Or that was our understanding.

lcheal
02-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Really? We looked into it about 5 months ago, and they did. Or that was our understanding.

This is an old thread. I'm pretty sure that's changed now.

dubhreubel
02-13-2011, 03:23 PM
This is an old thread. I'm pretty sure that's changed now.

LOL thanks. I didn't notice, it just came up in new posts...

lcheal
02-13-2011, 03:27 PM
LOL thanks. I didn't notice, it just came up in new posts...

I do it all the time. This just happens to be one I remember from a while back haha :)

Imoteda
03-07-2011, 08:44 PM
That's not right. I just had to renew my daughter's passport and all they asked for was for the father's signature and a copy of his passport page. They didn't give me any headache about custody papers or anything and he doesn't even live in this country.

Prid5
03-07-2011, 09:35 PM
That's not right. I just had to renew my daughter's passport and all they asked for was for the father's signature and a copy of his passport page. They didn't give me any headache about custody papers or anything and he doesn't even live in this country.

Could be because you renewed once that were already issued, but her's were brand new?