PDA

View Full Version : So scared of letting my 16 year old drive!!

Leslie
12-30-2008, 12:30 AM
My boy turns 16 Feb 5th and he wants to get his license asap! I'm so stressed by it! The possibility of him being behind the wheel, I don't know why I'm so stressed but I'm honestly dreading it!

Anyone else been through this with a teen boy?

Laurie
12-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Muhahaha!!! ;)

Sorry, no help here! But, it's not like he'll ever have a vehicle to use anyway, right?! Yours is always in use by you or Chris anyway, so you don't have anything to worry about! LOL

Leslie
12-30-2008, 12:43 AM
Yeah I'm more worried about being in the actual vehicle with him!! Arghh!! He's going to want to drive whenever we are in the van!!

Laurie
12-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I would make a rule about him not being able to drive when the other kids are in the vehicle...too many distractions. So, just always bring at least one kid with you!

Leslie
12-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Good idea! There was no way I was going to let him drive with the other kids in the van but I never really thought of it as a strategy! Thanks!

Laurie
12-30-2008, 01:03 AM
LOL No problem :) And good luck! I admit I am kinda scared for you!

momtoS&E
12-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Dealing with it as I type. He wants to drive and I don't think he's ready. Plus, it's a real pain to get to the DMV!!!!

RossRoyalsGrad
01-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Our teens are about a week apart in age, my teen daughter will be 16 on Valentine's Day and thankfully she hasn't made too much of a fuss about getting her license, she knows she's not ready for it so has asked for LOTS for her 16th birthday, just not a trip to the MTO to write her test.:)

freedomnow35
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Yikes, I am not loking forward to this stage at all. My eldest is 13, and I am still working on brushing teeth and taking a shower and washing hair stage. Not even thinking of driving, YIKES!!

I feel for you....lol

Janette
01-27-2009, 02:45 AM
My oldest is going to be 10 in the summer (he's 10 going on 16) and I'm already worrying about having a boy learning to drive, Leslie. I'll be watching to see how things go for you!

Bethikinz
02-05-2009, 03:05 AM
We don't feel that our 16 year old is ready for the responsibility just yet. We told him that he needs to get a job and be able to pay for his insurance before we consider allowing him to drive. Since he is totally unmotivated to work just yet there won't be any new driver in this house for a while!

Monkey'sMommy
02-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Just playing devil's advocate here.... but when I got my license my parents never let me drive and when they did they were totally freaking out as a result (like the two times they let me ;-) ). As a result I sort of let it slide (had no choice) , never got any experience and eventually my license lapsed. By the time I actually got my license and drove I was in my 20's and was really nervous and afraid to learn.

Not saying that it is nothing to be nervous about. I am so grateful to have years before that comes - lol. But I do have an alternative solution. For me I ended up taking driver's ed. It can be expensive but it was the VERY best thing for me. For one you learn stuff you do not necesarily get in the book... but the in car with the instructor... someone not afrain and who can deal if you make a mistake (they have brakes too) was great. And with all the rules now for young driver's that we never had as young driver's I think it is a lot safer ... or I hope it is ;-)

And for you Leslie... best of luck :-) From what I understand you have a really great young man there. I think Laurie's idea of not driving with the other children in the car is a great one :-) Did he insist on going to get it today??

Leslee
02-06-2009, 01:35 AM
I took Driver's Ed as well, definitely recommend it!

Yummymummy
02-18-2009, 04:22 PM
My son is almost 17 but I don't think he has the maturity level yet to drive. I need to know that he's going to make good decisions when he's driving a vehicle and I don't see much evidence of that yet. I'm still working on getting him to look after himself and make his own lunch!

I also have to admit that I'm really scared of anything happening to him. We all have heard of accidents but I think youngins can have really bad judgement sometimes and feel invincible.

mom2kalen
02-18-2009, 07:27 PM
My boy turns 16 Feb 5th and he wants to get his license asap! I'm so stressed by it! The possibility of him being behind the wheel, I don't know why I'm so stressed but I'm honestly dreading it!

Okay - must be said! Leslie, you are the mother of a 16 year old boy?? You look incredible for being the Mother of a 16 year old!!! I thought all your children were younger.

mom2kalen
02-18-2009, 07:33 PM
My children are too younger to worry about this yet, but...I think the big thing is the maturity level. Do you feel that he is mature enough for the responsibility of driving? I always thought it was funny that we are allowed the respossibility of driving before we are allowed drinking.
I really like the idea of asking for some motivation towards the idea - paying for license, or insurance. That way it shows taking resposibility.

Just think Leslie....maybe he will be a wonderful responsible driver and could help with some of your running around - that way freeing up some time for you to do other things.

gal_sunshine_383
02-18-2009, 08:32 PM

No personal experience... yet! Rachel has another 4 years! :eek:

Donna
02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
All my 3 are over 16 and none have their driver's license. The agreement here is that they pay for their G1 & G2 test and I will pay for driver's ed. I'm actually surprised that they haven't at least headed out for their G1's, but its saving me money, even though I do end up driving them here and there a lot. BUT, on the other hand, they are also at the age that when I hear of teens being hurt or killed on the roads, it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. They have had to deal with school mates who are now gone due to accidents. One as recently at this past weekend, which made me think of this thread.

I'm with you Leslie, having them drive scares the crap out of me also, but I don't think there is anything we can do other than teach them right and pray that we as parents never experience the pain that others experience losing a child.

Does it get any easier with you see them leaving home and getting into a car with their friends, with a teen at the wheel?

janijanis
08-28-2010, 02:13 AM
are you just afraid of how he would drive in general? why not put him in driver training? why not let him learn:D

Mom22
03-24-2011, 02:55 AM
My husband is going to teach our daughter! I will not be able to handle it!!! I am the paranoid one in a family lol