PDA

View Full Version : Family Responsibility Office

ecomomma
06-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Not sure of this belongs in this forum?

I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to share their negative/positive with dealing with the FRO.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to file a case against my dd#1's father....wondering if it's worth the hassle.

Tanya-Mae
06-26-2009, 05:42 PM
I have FRO garnishing my ex. So far so good. It was done thru my lawyer. Unfortunately it is the only thing "settled" between us from a 2003 separation. Anything you want to know, just ask.

Christine
06-26-2009, 06:04 PM
OMG - don't get me started! My court order for child support was done through the BC courts and I was registered with the BC Family Maintenance office, since we moved here, I've had to file with the Family responsibility office and it took 7 MONTHS before my file was finally opened - and at one point, when I called for an update to see where my file was, I was told they didn't even have an application for me, etc, etc. Anyway, I just got a letter the other day saying that they have sent a letter to the payor advising him that they will garnishee his wages if he doesn't start paying. I don't know, I guess I'll believe that when I see it.
I would say it doesn't hurt to file with them - what do you have to lose? According to a lawyer I spoke with not too long ago, it's hit and miss with them.
Good luck to you if you decide to file, hopefully you'll get the 'hit' and not the 'miss'!

Bethikinz
07-02-2009, 03:05 AM
Fro had been garnishing my ex....but since he's not working right now he is in arrears. They tally it all and will get after him for it when he is working again. I have to inform them every time he changes jobs.

Christine
07-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Fro had been garnishing my ex....but since he's not working right now he is in arrears. They tally it all and will get after him for it when he is working again. I have to inform them every time he changes jobs.

You're luck you know - my ex won't even tell me the name of the place he works for, never mind an address or anything.

ecomomma
07-02-2009, 01:57 PM
My ex is on long term disability...does anyone know anything about that? Does the FRO garnish that?

He had a brain tumour removed and due to the surgery complications he can no longer work...and has no drivers license any more.

He is paying me child support based on his disablility income BUT he refuses to provide me with his tax assesment from last year . He has provided me with that for the past 10 years and the two of us have adjusted his child support amicably based on that. For some sketchy reason, he refuses to show me last years tax assesement. So now I'm thinking he's making more than the $1200 per month disability that he claims has been his "only income". Then why hide the tax assesement right?

Tanya-Mae
07-02-2009, 03:21 PM
No advice, sorry.. just wanted to give support. Yeah, it sounds sketchy to me also otherwise why such a drastic change in behaviour. Does he have someone in his life that may be giving him this new advice; medical reason to support a change of behaviours; or has something simply ticked him off that resulted in him not feeling the need to stay so amicable? I dunno... my ex is just a passive aggressive, "why me, dumb ass who is now told what to do by his common law... that's why I get nowhere.

ecomomma
07-02-2009, 05:54 PM
I think he is just ignorant bascially (in the sense that he is uninformed and choses to stay that way). He thinks that just because he has no formal employer that FRO won't be able to garnish. However, I was told that they do infact garnish disability, income tax returns etc...
What he isn't aware is that if I do start the file with FRO they will enforce our last court filed sep. agreement which his support is ALOT more than what he's paying me now (because he was employed back then). The FRO told me the only way for him to not be held to that old amount is for him to get an ammendment to our old agreement drawn up and filed with the courts....in which case, I will need to hire a lawyer to look it over in the very least (not to mention if there is any disagreement and back and forth going on between our lawyers).

Maybe tmi...sorry ladies, just thinking out loud trying to decided if I should stir the pot or just leave it alone at his measly $156 per month he's paying me, based on his supposed income?

Bethikinz
07-03-2009, 04:16 PM
$156.00! And I thought my $200.00 was pathetic. Not that I'm getting it right now....grrrrr.....that man never could keep a job for long.

Christine
07-03-2009, 05:45 PM
today I had to call the FRO and because my ex lives in a different province I have to call a separate department that deals with one spouse out of province. Get this - I am directed to a mailbox to leave a stinkin' message! I think this is absolutely ridiculous!! So now I sit and wait for them to call me back whenever they are able. I'm so not impressed! :(

ecomomma
07-04-2009, 11:22 PM
That really sucks Christine :(

So that seems to be the "payors" ticket out of their child support responsibilites ..... just move out of province huh? Ridiculous!!

I heard a spot on am 570 just last week, they had ppl calling in and telling their experience with FRO....not too many happy clients out there that's for sure!
One woman said she had FRO deducting "administration fees" off her support for all the work they had to to in locating her ex. WTF? Administrative fees?? And the kicker is, once they have your banking info, and they are the middle man of the payment process, they can pretty much deduct whatever they want then huh?
I don't know if I want to go down that road afterall....

Momma Nora
07-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Never had to file (yet) but I've seen them in action from the other side and I would def. do it myself. They ride you and send letters all the time, take income tax returns and gsts, whatever they can get whether or not your ex gives them his job details employer ect. I agree whoever said 'what does it hurt'? You may not see the money with or without them but more likely with IMO.

Good Luck

Christine
07-06-2009, 05:44 PM
One woman said she had FRO deducting "administration fees" off her support for all the work they had to to in locating her ex. WTF? Administrative fees?? And the kicker is, once they have your banking info, and they are the middle man of the payment process, they can pretty much deduct whatever they want then huh?
I don't know if I want to go down that road afterall....

You have to be KIDDING ME!!!! OMG - I will flip if they do that! I have to say BC's program kick's Ontario's arse! I have NEVER heard of that. If anything, they should charge the payor! not take money away from kids! that' s absurd!